Hi everyone, we’ll be having another work day from 9am-12pm this Saturday, September 8th, 2018. It will include weeding, harvesting, and pruning. We’ll also start seeds for winter greenhouse vegetables. Sign up here.
We’ll be tasting peaches, Asian pears, the last clove currants, and other seasonal delights.
A longer-term project we’ve started is to update the map and species list for our garden. Here’s the first installment: trees and shrubs over 12′ tall.
Woody plants which are or will grow to be over 25′ tall
- Amelanchier serviceberry “autumn brilliance” edible fruit
- Asimina triloba pawpaw “Shenandoah” and seedlings, edible fruit
- Castanea mollissima Chinese chestnut, edible nuts
- Cudrania tricuspidata, che, edible fruit (has not yet fruited)
- Diospyros virginiana, American persimmon, “Yates” and unknown male and female, edible fruit
- Morus alba, mulberry, “white fruiting” edible fruit and leaves
Woody plants which are or will grow 12-25′ tall
- Alnus cordata, Italian alder, coppiced, nitrogen fixer
- Amorpha fruticosa, false indigo, nitrogen fixer, beneficial insects, living trellis
- Corylus spp, hazelnut hybrids, edible nuts
- Diospyros kaki, Asian persimmon, edible fruit (has not yet fruited)
- Hamamelis virginiana, witch hazel, medicinal
- Lindera benzoin, spicebush, fruit used like allspice
- Morus macrura, Himalayan mulberry “Geraldi dwarf”, edible fruit
- Morus alba, edible-leaf mulberry, coppiced, edible leaves
- Phyllostachys aureosulcata, P. nidularia, P. nuda, bamboos, edible shoots, material for garden projects
- Prunus persica, peach, edible fruit
- Pyrus spp, Asian pear, edible fruit
- Pyrus communis, European pear, edible fruit
- Senna hebecarpa, native senna, nitrogen fixer
- Tilia cordata, littleleaf linden, coppiced, edible leaves
- Toona sinensis, Chinese toon, coppiced, edible leaves
Hi – do you know of anywhere to get toona sinensis plants or shoots?